Thursday, March 4, 2010

Georgetowns leading scoring diagnosed with diabetes


WASHINGTON -- Georgetown's leading scorer Austin Freeman has been diagnosed with diabetes. His status for the team's upcoming games is uncertain.

The 20-year-old Freeman disclosed his condition in an interview with The Washington Post. He and coach John Thompson III told the Post that the junior guard's long-term playing career should not be affected, but Thompson wouldn't say whether Freeman will be able to play in Saturday's regular-season finale against Cincinnati or in next week's Big East tournament.

"It's just something I'm going to have to deal with," Freeman told the Post. "It's going to be a certain change in my diet and my life. But I know I can deal with it. I'll be fine."

Freeman missed Monday night's loss to West Virginia and was limited in Saturday's loss to Notre Dame. He was thought to have a stomach virus.

Freeman is averaging 17 points per game for the Hoyas (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 19 AP), who have lost four of their past five.

Freeman practiced with his Hoyas teammates on Wednesday.

"I felt good," he told the Post. "It felt real good out there to be back on the floor and playing with my team."

Associated Press

1 comment:

  1. I have watched Freeman over the years and he has turned into a quality basketball player. Great shooter and scorer but most importantly Freeman has taken on a leadership role that Hoyas have badly missed with him out. Other basketball players have played with diabetes before and been succesful so my guess is Freeman can do the same. My heart goes out to him and is family and i wish him a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete